I handed in my last undergraduate assignment this afternoon. I’ve been doing a Bachelor of Arts since 2008, so it’s been a long time coming. I’ve changed my degree so many times that the enrollment officer said I couldn’t change again (-I am still not sure if she was being serious or not).
Over the years I’ve managed to pass mostly through hard work come exam times. I work better under pressure and cramming. This year no more. I’m starting my study schedule tomorrow (after Slutwalk, of course!)
- Plan your study routine. None of this cram-three-weeks-into-one-day-because-you’ve-run-out-of-time-shit! Write it out big, stick it up, familiarise yourself with it. Make sure you’ve left enough time for everything that is going to freak you out come the night before. Factor in your breaks, factor in few nights off, but don’t factor in the alcohol.
- Speaking of delicious beverages, stay hydrated! Consider trying starting the day with a hot mug of water with lemon juice. Another awesome drink which is good if you tend to get sick around exams time is hot blackcurrant juice, cut ginger and lemon.
- Find out the criterion you’re being marked on and get a feel for what you need to improve or direct study around. If you know you’re lacking on some criterion, spend some time focusing on it.
- Maximise your breaks. None of this wordpress/facey/email crap, you need to give your eyes a break (I am especially guilty of this one!) Get out, go for a walk, hang out your washing, make a coffee. The most important thing is to get out of your study environment, even if it’s just a 15 minute cuddle with your dog and to post some letters. Get some fresh air, exercise = oxygenate your brainerz.
- Reward yourself! Even if you manage to stick to your schedule for a day, make sure you celebrate your achievement. A bath? Some chocolate? Tickets to the movies? A snuggle night in with your lover? Whatever. It’s your reward, take it and make the most of it, away from your computer 🙂
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to spend some quality time with my favourite gal pal as a reward for my hard work today. My first exam is on the 27th, I’ll keep you posted.
Do you have any study tips for me?